|Posted on September 30, 2017 at 11:05 AM|
A new year is almost here and January is a time for new beginnings. If you find yourself in charge of an estate, this is the time to make decisions and move forward with the belongings and don't get mired in the past.
Here's a few suggestions if you find yourself in charge of an estate --
1. Don't get weighted down with guilt--You can't be expected to keep every belonging of your loved one. If you do, there will be no room for your own life.
2. Don't get weighted down with inertia. The longer you wait to disperse an estate, the harder it becomes to sell the items.
3. Don't take the easy way out by putting your estate in storage units. You WILL want to move them out of there one day, and what will you do then? You cannot have an estate or garage sale at a storage unit. When you factor in the monthly rental fees, you will be shocked at what you are going to pay. Deal with these items now and don't prolong the stress.
4. Don't start tossing or giving items to charity and then decide to hold an estate sale. Call a professional and get a no obligation opinion before you do anything. I have been called many times to hold a sale and the good stuff, the rusty stuff has been tossed in a dumpster long before I get there.
5. Don't let your emotions control you. Get along with family members and remember that things aren't worth hard feelings with your relatives. Make a plan and work it out because you will be happier if you do.
Make 2017 the year to move forward in every part of your life and if it includes an estate sale, please remember to call me for a free consultation.